Friday, November 23, 2007

comparab-AL ?




So I got myself a Lemond Revmaster a little while back. I ripped that shit saddle that comes with it off and immediately replaced it. I spun off the shit peds and put on my Speedplays. And HOT DAMN! I love it!

I do a lot of indoor biking--late at night or while the kids are coloring on the floor near me or when the weather is crappy. I probably get more miles indoor than outdoor, this time of year. I've never really liked my Kurt Kinetic Trainer. I know it is a good trainer, but I just don't love how loud it is. And you can't stand up and really work on it.

The revmaster is silent...or near to it. And you can beat it. I stand on it and really dig in...no worries. Plus it takes up less room than bike/trainer. And it is direct drive, so it rides like a fixie. In my mind this will be good for my "stroke."

I've been doing these nice duathlons: I spin for an hour then burn out a 5k. Great workout. Should keep me up for next season. But here's my question: how come more bike people don't ride these? I hear about trainers and rollers. I never hear a true blue biker talk about his/her spin bike. Why? Are these activities not comparable?

And while we're on the topic of comparability...I was channel surfing while spinning this morning. I saw this poofta on Regis and Kelly.

Ok, now maybe I'm crazy, but I am starting to believe in reincarnation. Is it me?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second Ripa dumps that pepsodent smile douche of a husband she's got Moveitfred is going to move in for the kill.

Moveitfred said...

Yes. She's yours.

Heywood Jablome said...

Al, Some riders do like to use spinners. Like my 78 year old neighbor for one, she loves it. My grandma used hers daily before she left us. Lots of her friends still use theirs. The DP down the block thinks his is splendid, just a hoot.

Although a silent group, those diehards are out there with you big Al. Keep up the good work. Happy Holriday!

Anonymous said...

>>>I just don't love how loud it is<<<

Al--open your pants and check your genitals. Do it now. Moveitfred is willing to bet something has changed down there.

Why don't bike racers use these things? Simple economics is the primary answer: why spend over 1 G for one of these gargantuan hunks of shit when you can get in the same workouts on a portable unit for a quarter of the cost?

Actually, when it comes down to it it's all about the tri mind vs the cycling mind.

BWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!

Moveitfred said...

Fred: In the words of the great David Byrne, "you're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything."

Do explain "the cycling mind."

Anonymous said...

The genitals directive was not clear?

Oh, oh, the cycling mind. That's the rational one.

BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!

Anonymous said...

By spinning at home on your own over priced "Bike" you are removing yourself from the prime cougar hunting territory known to modern man. Spin studios are notoriously packed with cougar's, something you just can't find on your typical ride.

megA said...

al can use a giant piece of crap instead of a portable trainer b/c al lives in a gigantic house on the only hill on long island.

with his 8,000 sq ft home, he has to invent silly things to justify all that mc_mansion goodness.

al--if you built me a new wing on my house i'd ride one of those thingies too. what-do-ya-say? are the holidays moving your charitable nature???

Anonymous said...

al looks down on us all, both literally and metaphorically.

Anonymous said...

Revmaster is great.

More stable than a mag.turbo/fluid trainer. Out of saddle efforts are easier.

Quieter than my rollers and Mag trainer too.

Jealous bitches.

Kisses,

Geert