Sunday, May 4, 2008

conferr-AL


Al and Fred may now rest...

It was an eventful weekend for Al ... and for Fred too (to a lesser extent).
Al and Fred were responsible for putting together the first annual Acme Mechanical Equipment Tool and Die Festival: A Celebration of Tool and Die Manufacturing. This event was a rousing success, bringing together the best in tool and die manufacturing from our region. It took a good deal of planning and work to pull off this event, but we did it.

Al also ran the Long Island 1/2 today, 5/4.
I ran the race in about 1:37.30. The exact time has yet to be posted. I had 1:38 at the finish, but my adjusted time will be about 30 seconds or so faster...it took a while to get over the start line with all the racers starting at once. I'm happy with this time. I was doing about 7:30s or a few seconds faster for the race.

Last year's LI Marathon time for AL = 1:38.39

I looked back at some more of my times from 10 years ago. I'm happy to see that I'm still in the same zone I was: Brooklyn 1/2 in March of 1998 = 1:37.33; Bronx 1/2 in July of 1998 = 1:36.19 ; Grete's gallop (a 1/2 in Central Park) in 10/99 = 1:39.36 ; Staten Island 1/2 in 10/99 = 1:35.06.

A lot happened for me in those 10 years. I got married. Became a dad 2x over. Moved 4x. Put on 35 pounds. (And boy was I slow as shit when I put that weight on...Brooklyn 1/2 in 03 = 1:56.07.) Lost 35 pounds. Changed jobs 2x. Aged from 29-39. Started triathloning. And a lot of other silly shit like this. Anyway...the gist of all this is that I feel pretty good about finding my way back after losing it in my mid 30s. That's all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al,

Great work!

Please let us know the exact finish time. This possible 30 difference of transponder time vs. the time at the finish line is important.

Patiently waiting...

Anon

Anonymous said...

Dear Doucheb--er--Anonymous:

Run the race. You'll Understand.

Anonymous said...

Al,
Did the metal shavings under your fingernails cause a problem?
fred