Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This week in (very cold) running

Al here!

Well, maybe it is winter after all here in the Northeast. (All this warm weather should make you nervous.) 30 degrees today and a brisk wind. More cold weather promised for the rest of the week. Brrr. Should toughen me up a bit. This week features 36 miles for me as I build towards the LI Marathon.


At the end of the week, I'm planning to do the Manhattan 1/2 marathon (13.1). I'm looking at it as just a training run--get me back into distances above 10 miles. I'd like to do it at an 8 to 8:10 pace. This should be do-able...if I'm healthy. My daughter has had walking pneumonia for the last 10 days. I've been caring for her, and now I'm starting to feel under the weather. I'm not coughing, but I'm a bit congested, a bit weak, and my chest feels tight and hurts a little. (EEEK!)

Now, to return to a thought from the comments that followed a last week post ("Over the Hills and Through the Woods").
Mega commented that the post was "funnier than a bag of dicks." Some of us here had never heard the expression...much commenting ensued. Just today though, a friend sent me this video. (Not for the faint hearted.) Funny coincidence, eh? Now this is funnier than a bag of dicks!

8 comments:

gewilli said...

that's a rather funny clip...

esp the ending part...

gewilli's wondering if MIF was sitting there saying, 'yup' 'yup' at the end...

gewilli's wondering if MegA's gonna watch that and comment on it...

gewilli thinks the 3 bi-boys running this gig should put a NSFW warning on that so Il Bruce doesn't get in trouble...

GVB said...

you know what's great about that clip? it took exactly 30 minutes from the time i forwarded it to The Colleague for it to get all the way around the Humanities division and back to my desktop with the subject like "This is the Funniest Fucking Thing I've Ever Seen".

Nice use of the state email server, there.

Plus, I am generally a big fan of hyperbole, but the funniest thing ever? Come on.

Al, using races as training is an injury waiting to happen. If you're anything like me, and you KNOW that you are, you'll go too hard and too fast and fuck something up. Just fair warning.

-GVB

Hugh G. Balls said...

Yes, the beauty of the internet and the beauty of so many people with so little to do. (And I am the king of this.)

Injury. Nah. I set challenging pace goals that get a little giddyap going but they don't get me injured. This works for me. a lot of guys do hard track work as part of their routines. Of the 4 times I've been injured (real injury not light pulls and shit), 3 of these have happened at the track. I've stopped track work totally. I do hills and I do races to complement my training. 5 ks, 10 ks, 20 ks, 1/2s, even a 20 miler. Like I say, this works for me. At this point, I feel like I've got a good sense of my runs.(This is my 14 Full marathon..whew.) Of course, now I'll go tear a hammy or rip a fucking quad after yapping like a know it all.

Anonymous said...

Much respect, Al. Hammer on down the road (so to speak).

Hugh G. Balls said...

Muchas gracias (threw that in for our friend Scott). But I'm taking you with me, Freddy. 07 is the year of the Fred tri!!!!

GVB said...

oh sure, play the "i know my body" card. whatever. track work blows. go get em in the race, bro.

Anonymous said...

ps, nice lungs.

Hugh G. Balls said...

What about the alveoli?