Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Preparation-AL

Al, back from Feenix, prepares for his olympic tri.





Hello All. I'm back. I know Fred ("Man Who Stands With Boy-sized Feather")is down and out with a double ear infucktion. Feel better Freddy!! I'm feeling a bit shitty too after the trip. But I think I'll be fine.

I have the Health Net Olympic Tri saturday. I feel I am well trained for this event (as well trained as one can be this early in the season). I could tell that I am peaking during a spin workout Fred and I did last week. It was an interval workout that laddered up with longer and longer intervals. I felt myself getting stronger and raring to go as we progressed--a sure sign that I am chomping at the bit in this pre race taper. One point of concern, though, was the limited amount of open water swimming I have been able to do for this race. Most swim work has been pool work (even with the wetsuit, it is tough to do much open water this early on). I got in one swim in the open last week. Today I went and just practiced water to bike transitions in the suit:
I went down to the ocean (colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra doing pushups in the snow in Antarctica, I'll have you know). I would swim a 100 yd triangle than dash from the water to my "transition area" de-suiting as I ran. I did about 10 repeats of this until I felt like the kinks were worked out.

I've ridden a good deal and feel bike ready. I'm a bit nervous about equipment. Mostly it is the tires that freak me a bit. I've not changed a tubular.



I probably should have practiced that but... Well, I've got a spare tubular, I've got an air gun and some CO2s. We shall see... And, worst case scenario, I'll enlist the help of my good friend, DNF.

I'm not going to make any time predictions nor set any specific time goals. All goals are effort/pace based. Here's why...I do not know the course. Also the distances--even though it is an "Olympic"--vary from race to race a bit and the transition areas are not all standard distances from course and on standard terrains (I've gone through sand, gravel, dirt, grass etc to get to a transition, and I've gone anywhere from 50 to 250 or more yards too.) Here's my plan: I'm going to try to go off mid pack with the swim. This should prevent the beating, biting, shoving, flogging that happens near the front with the REAL DOUCHEBAGS and it should keep me from swimming over the people who position themselves at the rear due to weakness on the swim. In the middle I'll take some bumping and shoving and swim over a few but it shouldn't be too extreme. I plan to "feel out" the swim course (chop/current/temp/crowd etc.) and just try to remain in good form at a good effort level--my mantra: stay long, press my T, turn on the long axis from the hips, extend extend extend.




I then want a quick exit and easy out of the suit into the shoes and onto the bike. I am not one of those guys who leaves the shoes on the pedals. I just don't dig running in socks and trying to get my feet into pedaled shoes. So my transition will be a bit longer here. I was quick last time though. And I just whip on shirt and socks/shoes--I swim/bike/run in the same tri bottom. (That's right, Bad Ass AL is doing 40k on the bike with no chamois...can anyone say "saddle sores"?) On the bike I, again, want to feel out the course. I've got pace/cadence and effort goals in my mind. And I've got some form things for me to focus on with my posture/back position/foot position in the downstroke and upstroke/ upper body position on the bars etc. Once off the bike, it is an easy transition into the run. {I should also mention that I got and really like the x wing on the back of the bike...makes racking the bike really easy.} Off with the bike shoes, on with the sneaks and hat and off we go.



I am MUCH more comfy predicting run times/pace. I'm setting in my mind some predicitions or goals in the course is indeed flat and fast, if transition is easy, if winds are low etc. I've got variables figured for eventualities. I'm going to carry 4 or 5 gels. One of which has caffeine. This one I'll jack right near the end (3 miles left on the run). If I do it any earlier, I fear the mad crash that I get from caffeine. (I was looking for those energy jelly beans to try. Anyone ever use them? Good?) Anyway, that's the story. If you've got anything inspiration-AL or education-AL, share it now. More to report after the race.

Peace, Love, Harmony with the Moon, the Sun, Trees, and Piss-Clams,
--AL ("One Who Stands With Elephant Trunk")

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trunk pose any probs in the transition area?

Just asking.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried ginger for your upset stomachs? I ran with some endurance runners last weekend and they swear by it. You get them at Trader Joe's or Cost Plus (Do you have those?) They come in paper and I guess they're candied. They were also popping Succeed pills. They're salt tablets. http://www.trisports.com/sucsalcap.html

Good luck with the triathlon!

Mrs. Jablome

Moveitfred said...

Ginger, eh? Will try it. THANKS!!!!!! I've done the electrolyte tabs. I now have an E powder I throw in the water in addition to the gels. Thanks for the ginger tip!!

Anonymous said...

Al!!!!!!

Are you a DOUCHE!!!!!

The assembled want to know!!!!!!

Heywood Jablome said...

Al,
I have a tri specific shorts with a reduced pad for quick drying. Used it couple of times and it works very well. Does not soak up water like a tampon. You like? No saddles soars on the anus. Good luck. Sure you will perform great. The Jablomes are so proud of you. You inspired Mrs. Jablomenotenough to attempt her first tri in September.

Moveitfred said...

NICE!!! Go for it, Mrs. Jablome!!!!

And Fred, go pick your ears.

Anonymous said...

Al - I was going to read your long post, but I figured I could read the classic book "War and Peace" instead in the same amount of time.

Ever heard of the term "Short and Sweet"?

Moveitfred said...

Anon:

ever heard the espression: "go fuck yourself, eat a steaming pile of shit, get gang raped by cell block D, go blow a chimpanzee, give head to a dead donkey, fuck you hard"?

An oldie but a goodie, I feel.

Anonymous said...

Wow BiCoastal! I think I hit a sensitive spot.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger....I was just repeating what your wife said about your Johnson.

xoxo Annony

Moveitfred said...

Anon:

No sensitive spot. I meant it very lovingly. Really.

Woody: got tri shorts to go with my tri top today. Thanks for the tip. Almost bought a unitard, then I asked myself: "what are you, a homo? Oh!" (Imagine Dice voice for that last bit.)