Saturday, June 9, 2007

TRI-umph!-AL



Al's Update on the healthnet Tri at Milford Beach, CT

Despite foul weather to start, we got the race in! We arrived at about 6 Am for a 7 Am start and it was VERY foggy and raining on and off. The official word when we arrived was a "we'll see" about the swim because you couldn't see (at all) any of the course buoys (PEA SOUP). After about an hour, the officials called an audible. They changed the swim course to make it a 2x loop course around the first two buoys. (The course was originally a diamond that went much further out into the LI sound.) When asked on the new distance for the course, one official was quoted as saying: "I haven't the foggiest. Pun intended."

The swim: there was a good deal of chop and current and fog as I went out on the first portion of the loop. This made the first leg a fight against current and a real "heads up" swim to see the buoy. We then turned right and followed the shore. The chop made this a bit tough too as I had to adjust quite alot to current and wave action to stay on course. The leg back to shore prior to the second loop was nice--current and wave at your back. The second loop was much the same. One thing we all agreed on: the 1.5 k swim course was now a good deal longer. I expected a 26-29 minute swim depending on conditions. I came in at about 35 minutes. I heard estimates that placed the course at 1.25 miles (about a 1/4 mile longer than expected) to 1.5 miles (1/2 mile beyond course description). I think it was probably between the two estimates. Whatever it was, it was a challenging swim with a lot of readjustment due to poor visibility and tide. I should say, that I am jazzed about the swim too. It was great to be banging it out again in such a dynamic environment. Pool swimming is a boring business. Even though the LI Sound course was tough, it was fun.

Transition areas were unremarkable. Standard paved stuff.

Bike: The course was wet and we got a number of rain showers during the ride. The first portion of the ride features some hills and a good deal of turning. This section was treacherous. I came into a turn at the bottom of a hill and wound up sideways, dabbing/sliding to stay vertical. after that I played it a bit more conservative. Others weren't so lucky. I saw several downed riders. One was being ambulanced away as I passed. I feel I biked well given the course. I averaged about 19-20 mph for a mostly flat, WET course. I don't know exact times as my watch/glasses were fogged and a pain in the ass. I know I reined myself in though. A side note: I like these tubulars a lot. But they are pumped up high and they were very slippery on the wet course (I should have mentioned a few other "slick" moments; none as bad as the one described though.)

The run was a nice two lap course and I put down 7:20s and 7:30s. I can't be exact here as mile marking was poor--only miles 1,2,3 were marked for a 6.2 mile run. The second loop my splits were all screwed up.

My overall was 2:52 and change. This is for a 1.3-1.5 m swim, 26+ m bike, 6.2 m run. I'm happy with this for the first tri of the season and for my first olympic tri.


One thing that is worth remarking on: wah, I'm chafed. Leaving at 4AM proved problematic as I spaced on my body glide. (And no, I didn't prevail upon any of my fellow triathletes: "hi, mind if I rub your body glide into my ass and armpits?") So I am chafed. Fucking rookie mistake.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I plan on at least 2 more Olympics and 2-3 sprints before the end. I'm also waiting to see if I get into the NYC marathon. We shall see.

--AL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al,
Stud.
x, Phlegmy Moveitfred

Heywood Jablome said...

I love the report AL. You da man. Any Pics?

Anonymous said...

Also, don't forget to apply salve to your raw bits.

But you prolly already knew that.