Thursday, July 19, 2007

bi-AL

Wherein Al Discusses His Training and Upcoming Events (as opposed to Jerk it Fred who discusses his stroke material)

Here's a little bit of coincidence for you:

Yesterday, I was doing a brutal duALthlon in prep for a week from Sunday's Olympic Tri.
The workout consisted of a 20 mile ride--a loop course that I repeated 4 times including 4x up a nice hill in a loop. Then I transitioned to a 5 mile run repeating this same hill 4x again. In the transition, I grabbed 2 lemon/lime power gels and stuffed 'em in my pocket, and pulled my run bottle to rehydrate on the move. It was hot, and I was dry and definitely short on cals (I'd skipped lunch for some stupid reason). Anyway, I sucked down both gels while trotting and choked down some electolyte drink. {An aside about gel...never liked 'em. They have the consistency of toothpaste, and I gag on them in the best circumstances.} As the second went down, I knew I was in trouble. Rumble. Teary Gag. Acid burp. HURL! Mid stride, I spewed the gels roadside.

After a 1/2 mile, I was ok and smiling. Iwas thinking of poor fucking Heywood, the dumbass pedaling up everest and trying to choke down a tuna melt.

Anyway, here's a little something in the run/bike vein:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al. Very nice. FYI, in a pinch remember this little trick we've learned from man's best friend: you can always lap up your yack and give it another go. Sometimes it's OK the second time down. (Heywood--keep this in mind on next death march).

Moveitfred said...

Hey, thanks Fred. Good idea.

Heywood Jablome said...

Thanks for thinking of me Al. Have you ever tried Hammer Gel? They also make this stuff called perpetuem(sp). Stuff is supposed to be great for long distance workouts. After my long ride, I talked to some people who used this as there meal for the day and felt good. Just ordered some and will give it a try.

P.S. Al, Fred said you were always able to choke down about anything. Ever been to boystown in Chicago?

Anonymous said...

Wood-
You left your rainbow banner hanging from the hotel window. Moveitfred will bring it with him when he comes to Cali.