Tuesday, June 19, 2007

tri-ALS and tribulations

WHEREIN OUR HERO, AL, PICKS UP THE SLACK FOR THE OTHER TWO DOUCHEBAGS AND ACTUALLY UPLOADS CONTENT


Here I am, one week after my first tri of the season. I spent the last week in active recovery mode. I ran and swam and biked, but everything was at a lowered intensity level. Right now, I feel good and ready to go again. (Earlier in the week, I REALLY felt my almost 40 years. Everything hurt...even things I didn't know I used in the tri--my jaw muscles hurt, and I'm conscious of not tensing my face up.)

I'm doing another Olympic tri on 7/29: Patanella's Lumpy Pancake

So this week, real training begins. I'm training 6 days a week, really. One day--typically Monday--is mostly an off day with just a weight lifting session in the eve. The 6 "on" days feature a variety of doubles: AM and PM workouts. The week is a mix of different types runs, swims, bikes and lifts.

On the weight lifting...I do a full body circuit 3 times a week. I don't use a weight room, just old school moves that build/maintain strength and balance. This circuit involves, push ups, chins, planks, crunches, leg lifts, squats, reverse lunges, and some other dumbbell work. This weight component has really boosted my performance. I never realized (before tri) how much triathlon is a strength sport. I always knew that it was an endurance sport, but strength is a key component too. (This explains why triathletes don't "look" like marathoners though their competitions are often similar in length and, in part, make up.)

On another, somewhat related, note. Raise your hand if you ever watch "sports movies" to get you pumped up, in the mood, in the mindset. We all do, right? Without Limits, American Flyers, Hoosiers, Bull Durham etc etc We've all seen these, maybe gotten a charge out of them as we watch others put themselves through the paces (as we all do). Anyway, there I was last night. It was late-ish (10 PM) and I was having a post workout snack. I was surfing through the tube offerings when I came across Rocky III. "Wow...here's a great sports movie," I thought. I knew it was no cinematic masterpiece ("Rocky" was, though). But I was looking for a hokey, inspirational sport film (you know, little guy does impossible against impossible odds). Now, let me start this by saying that I have not seen Rocky III since the 80s (of that I'm certain). It came out in 1982. I saw it in the theater, and I don't think I've seen it since.

My thoughts on R III: if you're looking for a "pump" this movie can do it.

BUT you'll need to be gay.

Now listen, I've got nothing against a guy taking it in the back door. Look, I'm friends with Fred and Heywood. And I've heard all sort of talk about you bicycle boys and I still ride with some of you. HOWEVER, I think I completely missed all the thinly veiled homoerotica and the completely unveiled man on man action in this film the first time around. (I was 13 or 14 when I saw it, so cut me some slack.)

I may be stating the obvious, something you all knew already, but: THIS FILM IS A FAG FESTIVAL.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al,

Heywood and I are rooting you on to do really, really super on your triathlons!

Oh, and Heywood, don't forget your roller skates when we meet in Chicago next weekend.

Moveitfred

Anonymous said...

Albert,
The entire 80's decade was a fag festival. Holla!
Phyl Aschio

Johnny Applebag said...

Al:

That Clubber Lang was certainly dee-lish, wasn't he?

Anonymous said...

Al,

A few things...

First, you referred to 10PM as being late. 10PM is not late.

Second, Do you have an iPod? If so, I just learned about this neat new thing from Nike. It is a chip that you put in your shoe, then you clip something to your iPod. The chip tracks your miles, pace, heart rate, progress, time, etc. and you can view it during your run, and it graphs everything for you oline. The chip is only $30 and works on iPod nano's only.

I know you like stats and thought you would be interested.

Moveitfred and Heywood, I don't think this chip has an adaptor for roller skates. Sorry. One loop in the Chicago Gay Pride Skate-a-thon is 3 miles though if that helps you log your workout. You can take your total skate time, subtract the minutes that you snuck off in the alleys to make out and drink wine spritzers and you will have your acurate skate time.

Extremeski

Moveitfred said...

E-ski:

I've got the chip. Thanks for the tip, though. They try to market it as for "nike" shoes only (the chip is the receiver, the transmitter goes in the shoe). However, you can slap the bad boy in a key pocket (on laces) no problemo.

I used the thing a few times. I'm over the whole stats thing. I check times about once a week and when I run. I'm getting all zen now. Ya know? I run, swim, bike mostly by feel. I'm sure there will be abuse for that one...but true.

Moveitfred said...

Moveitfred understands Al is really into the whole zen/feel thing.

Moveitfred would never beat up Al over that.

Moveitfred respects Al and the choices he makes.

Anonymous said...

Al-

I hear there is a fee per month to check stats, etc. True? If so, how much?

Extremeski

Moveitfred said...

Fred:

I appreciate you sharing the personal collection with me.

E-Ski:
Don't know about that. It is that whole "run community" thing. You can do this for free in runstoppable. You map the routes then manually upload data--time/pace. They have the whole free community thing and GREAT mapping tools. If you want to try out the nike / apple chip, have Freddy send me your adddress via email and I'll send the thing to you. You can play with it and see if you like it.

Moveitfred said...

Al/Half-a,

1) E don't need you to send shit. E gets more free swag than you and Woodrow and fred will ever see.

2) Instead, how bout you two exchange recipes for grilled sausage and fruit slaw? Send your favs to Moveitfred's addddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddress and he'll pass them along.

3) Take this test.

4) Keep posting these GREAT!!!! entires about Stallone. We can't get enough of those!!!!!!