Thursday, September 20, 2007

inadvisab-AL?

Wherein Al Discusses His Latest "Recovery" Run

While Fred was battling Julio and his vatos...







I was battling my own demons...



Well, I can't speak to the wisdom of my actions, but today I busted out my first road run. Let me set the stage a bit...

If you've been following my torrid tale of injury and recovery, you know that this was the first week in about a month that my calf muscle injury seemed well enough to allow for any sort of running. Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I mixed a one mile treadmill run into my bike and elliptical trainer work. I felt strong on each run and didn't experience pain or soreness after.

Today was a top ten day: brilliant blue skies, no humidity, 80 degrees, light breeze. I had to be outside. I decided to walk a mile on the running path beside Massapequa reservoir and see how I felt. After the mile, I started to run. I'd gauge that I was running 8:45s, but I had no watch (it was a nice, easy trot). I felt great and I justed wanted to keep going. So I banged out 4 miles at this pace, and then I forced myself to quit it. (In truth, I wanted to just keep going.) After the 4 mile run, I walked a mile, stretched, and used my massager on my legs. It was just too good to be true. Hopefully, I didn't overdo it. But I feel good right now.

A note on the watchless running...AL THEORY: When I return to running after an injury or a lay off, I like to really feel what is going on and "learn" what running is for me anew. I don't wear a watch when I'm in re-acquaint mode. And I don't wear any music either. I just want to get out there and hear my footfalls, my breathing, feel my heart and lungs working, see the trail moving beneath me etc. Worrying about time would be ludicrous right now and diversions like music would take me out of the zone (I feel) I should be in at this time.



And that, Grasshopper, is all...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>>I like to really feel what is going on and "learn" what running is for me anew<<<

This may be the gayest thing Moveitfred has ever read.

And Moveitfred isn't even going to comment on the whole "Massapequa Reservoir" thing.

Anonymous said...

Correction.

>>>I just want to get out there and hear my footfalls, my breathing, feel my heart and lungs working, see the trail moving beneath me etc.<<<

This is the gayest thing Moveitfred has ever read.

Heywood Jablome said...

"My name is Albanghimhard" is the gayest thing I have ever read. Way Gay!

solobreak said...

"listened to my footfalls..." guh-fuckin-ay.

Al, I feel your gay pain, but throughout this injury I don't think we've seen mention of a doctor, nurse, or any other professional help. Did you even look at at calf drawing on Web MD? It's ok to scratch a mosquito bite.

Go get a freaking massage to get the stupid knot out and be done with it. Even a Tokyo Spa soak n' stroke in good old Paw-tuck-it will probably loosen that thing up enough to "run" 8:45s.